Thursday 19 September 2013

INTERVIEW : Dada Opens up on Dadagiri, EPL, SRK vs Aamir & Much More

His comeback on the sets of Zee Bangla’s Dadagiri Unlimited has brought a lot of Sourav Ganguly fans back to television. This time when t2 met him on the sidelines of a special episode featuring singers like Usha Uthup and Babul Supriyo, to be aired in October, Dada looked even more relaxed. A t2 chat… 




You have not done Dadagiri in the last couple of years (Mithun Chakraborty hosted the previous season in 2011) but you have got busier…

I do a whole lot of things, you know. I do this (Dadagiri), I do cricket, I do news (cricket expert on TV channels), I have my own work also. It’s good to be busy. I have come to CAB (coaching committee chairman). That is something I’ll do very religiously because that’s the best thing in my life, cricket. Hopefully, I can manage time. I’ll have to find ways to do it. I’ll have to stop doing certain things. I haven’t decided what. But cricket will be the first (priority) because that’s the most interesting thing in my life. We’ll see.

What would be your time-management tips for youngsters?

I think everybody has a profession. So, stick to it. Do what gives you happiness and is fun for you. That’s important.

The Lord’s balcony is new on the sets of Dadagiri. Was it your idea?

Yes, it’s new. No, no, it wasn’t my idea. I just do what I am told… questions, participants… nothing is my idea. I get to know about them when I arrive on the sets and just do the best I can.

Were you surprised to see this balcony though?

I wasn’t surprised. I liked it. It’s different and looks good.


And makes you nostalgic?

No, no, no… (smiles) not at all.

Like Kaun Banega Crorepati and Amitabh Bachchan, Dadagiri is a show that banks a lot on your popularity...

These shows are like that. It depends on the personality, but also depends on how you go about the show. It has to be made likeable to people. The best thing about this or KBC is that you can watch it with the whole family, right from the seniormost to the juniormost.

Is that a lot of pressure on you?

No, no pressure! If they don’t watch me here, they can watch me on the cricket field. I have got another option. (Laughs) Pressure days of my life are over.

Do you watch Amitabh Bachchan host KBC?

Of course I watch! He is fabulous.

What have you picked up from the way he anchors?

I think he is just normal. He doesn’t act too much, although he is an actor, although he does certain things, which he has done all throughout his life. And it’s his voice. I think it’s his voice which makes the show special. I am a big fan of his. He is a lovely person.

Who is your all-time favourite TV show host?

Mr Bachchan. Just the way he goes about his job. His presence on TV. His voice, his personality. He is made for that show.

What is it that you watch on TV?

Cricket. I watched the one-dayer yesterday (Saturday)… England beat Australia. I am looking forward to Australia coming to India. That would be nice.

Who are your favourite commentators?

Richie Benaud and Bill Lawry. They are just brilliant. Their voice is so brilliant. Before I played for India, 5.30 in the morning you wake up and you hear Richie and Bill, amazing!

What about EPL?

I’ll be in London on the 22nd (September 22) for the The Macquarie Legendary Test Captains Dinner ( Read Here : Honour for Dada )  . So, I am going to watch Manchester City vs Manchester United. I love it! You have to be in England at this time. We normally go in May-June when cricket’s on. You have to go at this time of the year because Premier League starts now. I have already booked two seats for the game.

Who is your EPL-watching partner?

I’ll see whoever wants to go because I’ll have to drive to the stadium. Dona doesn’t go. She is not interested. So, I’ll have to find someone!


Gareth Bale has just become the most expensive footballer (Real Madrid bought him from Tottenham Hotspur for £85.3m)…

That’s what English football is. Just throws up so much money. But then performance is never about money. I hope he does well as a player because that’s important.

Talking about football, you are going to Brazil for the World Cup next year...

I am going, but you know, I just got to know three days before — I have booked the tickets also, four tickets, they are so expensive — that India play the first Test in Nottingham on July 9. So, I don’t know. I’ll request STAR to let me go, at least for the finals on the 13th. I’ll be able to give it (the ticket) away because everybody would want to go, but I’d actually like to go. I had got tickets for the semi-final (Sao Paulo) and the final (Rio). Four of us are going… me, my brother, one of my cousin brothers and another guy who works with me. Last time I could not go because my sister was getting married.

The team you are looking forward to watch would be...

Brazil.

So, you’ll root for Brazil this time?

This time, after a long time. From what I saw in the Confederations Cup when they went past Spain in the final… if Neymar’s fit, they have a chance.

Players you are looking forward to watch…

Neymar. He is terrific. I have been spoilt by Diego Maradona. Obviously, (Lionel) Messi is there as well, but I have been spoilt by Maradona’s skills. So, everybody looks inferior.

Switching from football to tennis, what is your message for Leander Paes, who has just won the US Open doubles at 40?

My message for him would be he should keep playing till he wants to. I hope he enjoys his win because these don’t come everyday and once he enjoys it, he starts getting better.

Finally, did you see women of all ages swooning over you as you climbed up the stage!

(Laughs) I am past that! I just hope Sana (daughter) follows me. That’s important.

LAST FILM WATCHED: Chennai Express. I watch all Shah Rukh (Khan) films. All I’ll say is that Shah Rukh has done much better films. Chak De! India was good. Jab Tak Hai Jaan was good. I also watch all Aamir (Khan) films.

AAMIR KHAN VS SHAH RUKH KHAN: I don’t want to get into that and I don’t think it is the right way to go. Both are different. Shah Rukh’s a showman. On stage, nobody can beat Shah Rukh Khan.

Courtesy : T2


Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More