Saturday 14 June 2014

Ahead of the Bangladesh Tour Suresh Raina Looks upto Sourav Ganguly for Inspiration

Suresh Raina, who will be captaining India in the three-match ODI series in Bangladesh, spoke to The Telegraph from his Ghaziabad residence on June 12th. 



Have you looked up to a captain? 

When I was dreaming of playing for India, I used to admire Dada (Sourav Ganguly)... He encouraged youngsters and instilled the belief that matches can be won overseas... Dada’s contribution won’t be forgotten... In recent years, I’ve been amazed by the calmness shown by MS. It’s an experience playing under him, seeing the cool manner he handles situations. He’s created such a good environment... As a batsman, MS is one of the iconic finishers in limited overs cricket. There’s something to learn there too.

Your thoughts on the blinder (87 off 25 balls), one of the great T20 innings, you played against the Kings XI Punjab, in Mumbai? 

(Laughs) I was in my zone... That’s the best way to put it... I didn’t look at the target... Didn’t look at the bowlers... Just played each ball on merit... Being in my zone took my batting to another level... Pity we still lost. 

You took 20 runs off one Mitchell Johnson over... 

So it turned out! People say Johnson’s very quick... Well, I did help myself to some runs. What exactly is ‘my zone’? It’s almost all to do with the mind, being positive and playing with freedom... Not being restricted by the circumstances... I’m thankful to Dada for his tips, earlier this year. 

Specifically, what did Sourav tell you? 

To stay positive... To be particular about the movement of my feet.

( Content Courtesy : Telegraph  )

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More