Wednesday 24 July 2013

When Sourav Ganguly Made his Debut as a Commentator - 2009

June 3, 2009 : All set for a new innings as a cricket commentator, former India captain Sourav Ganguly said he was excited about his new role which would give him a chance to shake hands with his former teammates.

The most successful Indian captain, who will commentate for ESPN Star Sports from the semi-final stage of the the ICC World Twenty20 in England, said, "Till this time, I was in the middle as the commentators were talking about me. I will look forward to interview my former teammates." 

Asked whether sitting in the commentary box he would be critical of his former teammates, Ganguly said, "I will see it's just the beginning and I will be doing commentary for the semifinals and the final. Hopefully, I will shake hands with my former teammates." 

Talking about his association with ESPN Star Sports, Ganguly said, "My association has been a long one right from my debut days at Lord's in 1996. When I scored my century on debut, it was widely covered and I remember Richie Benaud and Sunil Gavaskar taking my interview." 

"They asked me how it felt? I was star-struck and I could not answer as I was facing TV cameras for the first time. I really feel honoured and privileged to do this role," said Ganguly who will join a 13-member expert panel that includes Ian Chappell, Ian Bishop, Wasim Akram, Sanjay Manjrekar, Nasser Hussain and Harsha Bhogle among others.

The retired Indian cricketer picked the Aussie duo of Benaud and Bill Lawry as his favourite commentators and said, "They were really special whom I want to hear again and again." 

On Indian commentators, he said, "(Sunil) Gavaskar is good and continues to be good, while (Ravi) Shastri has been the most improved commentator." 

Asked about Englishman Geoffrey Boycott, Ganguly quipped, "He is always very good in cricket, commentary and criticism." 

Video : Sourav Ganguly Makes His Debut as a Commentator - Press Conference. 

Exclusive Pics from the Launch :






June 19, 2009 : Sri Lanka vs West Indies - 2nd Semi Final - World T20 


“I’ll say what I see,” former India captain Sourav Ganguly told The Telegraph on the eve of beginning his innings as a TV commentator.



Sourav starts on Friday, during semi-final No. 2 of the World T20, between Sri Lanka and the West Indies.

“It’s disappointing that India’s out of the tournament.It would’ve been nice to begin this innings with an India match,” Sourav added.

Asked if he’d sought the guidance of any veteran, Sourav replied: “No.I know this is new for me.I’m looking forward to the experience.”

Exclusive Audio Clipping:

Sourav Ganguly's Debut as Commentator - SL vs WI - Semis -  WT20, 2009

Full 21 Mins here:









Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More